In the BBRT network we have many ongoing activities; most of them organised by our local consulting partners.
Our events help you and your colleagues in several ways:
- You gain knowledge about Beyond Budgeting and how it can help your organisation
- You expand your professional network
- You discover implementation pitfalls; and how to overcome them
Below you can find information about the most recent events in order for you to get an understanding of our different activities.
Local BBRT meeting, Paris
Our partner in France, Wavestone, recently organised and facilitated a very successful meeting at Hôtel Le Marois France-Amériques.
The meeting included a combination of plenary sessions and workshops; and the themes spanned from describing the Beyond Budgeting concept to sharing practical implementation experiences. More specifically, it was discussed:
- How to implement a reliable, agile and optimised forecasting process?
- How to define a fair incentive scheme?
- How to empower people at Business Unit level?
- How the Beyond Budgeting approach can reinforce the “business partner” role of the Finance function?
The speakers were Sebastian Becker (Associate Professor, HEC Paris) and Pierre Le Meur (Head of Finance Global Supply Chain, Sanofi).
Many of the top French companies participated in the meeting including Danone, Edenred, Engie, Sodexo, Lafarge, Orange, Societe Generale, Total and Vicat.
European BBRT meeting, Stockholm
A special event for us as it marked the BBRT’s 20th anniversary. With 100 attendees, it was also our biggest members’ meeting so far and to honour Jan Wallander and Handelsbanken, the event took place in Stockholm.
- Anders Bouvin, Handelsbanken’s CEO, delivered a great presentation about how Handelsbanken operates, and why it is so successful.
- BBRT co-founder Robin Fraser provided interesting insights about the early days of BBRT; and his personal perspectives on how we might continue.
- The BBRT Core Team was on stage together and provided reflections about achievements so far, and – more importantly – what we want to achieve in the future.
- Presentations from Tom Thomison (Founder of Holacracy) and Darren Cornish (Head of Systems Thinking at Aviva) provided great outside perspectives to the event.
Local BBRT meeting, Copenhagen
The topic of this meeting was: “Beyond Budgeting in listed companies”. In many listed companies, the external requirements often lead to (or reinforce) what we refer to as “budget management” practices; i.e. annual budgets, fixed targets, incentives, etc. In addition, in some listed companies, there is a belief that being listed is not compatible with Beyond Budgeting.
At the meeting, we reviewed some of the many negative side effects of “budget management”: short-termism, gaming, accounting adjustments to smoothen the numbers, focus on earnings, stuffed sales channels, and the unhealthy message it sends to the organization: “It is OK to manipulate”.
Head of Investor Relations at Handelsbanken, Lars Höglund, explained how they balance the requirements of being listed with their management model. They are very open about their actual / historical numbers, how they have developed and they help analysts with business and market insights that are useful for the analysts’ projections. However, as a principle, Handelsbanken does not provide any financial guidance to the market. This way, Handelsbanken avoids all of the above-mentioned negative side effects.